Château Caroline, Famille Chanfreau
The vineyard planting of Château Caroline date back to the 17th century. It was then owned by the Lestage family and was named “Bellevue” after the beautiful view of Moulis seen from their property. In 1870 Charles de Saint Guirons had the magnificent château built based on plans by architect Minvielle in the style of Napoleon III era.
The Chanfreau Family settled in Listrac-Médoc in 1962 when Léo purchased Château Fonréaud following his return from Algeria. A few months later, his father, Marcel Chanfreau, who also wished to settle in the Médoc, bought Château Lestage (neighboring to Fonréaud) and Château Bellevue. He changed the name to Château Caroline, named after his little girl, since the name Château Bellevue was already registered in Bordeaux. Today, Marcel's grandson, Jean Chanfreau, runs the estates with his wife Marie-Hélène and his sister Caroline Chanfreau-Philippon. He bought Clos des Demoiselles in 2002.
The family-owns 42 hectares of vineyards in the commune of Listrac-Médoc and 9 hectares in the commune of Moulis-en-Médoc. The vines grow at the highest point in the Médoc, the Puy de Menjon, at an altitude of 43 meters. Traditional Médoc grape varieties are planted on mosaic of gravel and limestone soils. The vineyards enjoy mostly southern exposure and are just 5km from the Gironde river. The modern cellars are in the original 17th century buildings.